Is Furnace Replacement Necessary? Telltale Signs to Help You Decide
by Greg Leisgang on March 5, 2014
Posted in: Furnaces
Replacing the furnace in your Cincinnati home represents a major investment, but having a reliable heating system is vital to your comfort and safety. New furnaces can provide 20 or more years of reliable service and a significant improvement in energy efficiency compared to older units. If you choose Energy Star-rated equipment, you could see additional energy savings of up to 15 percent, depending on the fuel type.
If you're on the fence about whether a replacement is necessary, your current system's age is one of the key indicators. If it's 15 years old or older, it's wise to start considering your options now, before you're dealing with an equipment failure in the middle of a frosty Ohio winter.
In addition to the unit's age, there are some other telltale signs that point toward replacement:
- Some areas of your home are too warm, while others are too cold.
- Your energy bills are increasing, but you haven't changed your consumption habits.
- You've found rust on and around the unit, as well as corrosion and cracks on some of the key components.
- Your home is increasingly dusty during the winter, and you've found soot and rust particles on your heating registers.
- Your heating system cycles on and off frequently, but it doesn't seem to remain on long enough to heat your home effectively.
- There's a lack of adequate humidity in your home during the heating season.
- You're spending more on repairs, and more often.
- The system is getting noisier, and you're hearing buzzing, rattling or humming sounds while it's running.
If you're not sure about the exact age of your heating system, the manufacture date may be on the furnace's data plate or in your owner's manual. If you can't find the date, jot down the equipment's serial number and give the manufacturer a call. You can also seek out the expert help of a trustworthy HVAC pro if you have concerns about your furnace's reliability, to help you make an informed decision about replacement.
To learn whether replacing the furnace in your Cincinnati area home is necessary, contact the HVAC experts at JonLe Heating & Cooling.
Image via Shutterstock.com