Changing the A/C Filter: One Task You Shouldn’t Forget
by Greg Leisgang on May 21, 2013
Posted in: Air Conditioners
Did you know that forgetting to replace your air conditioner’s filter regularly could lead to some serious consequences? It’s true. By not changing the A/C filter as needed, you’re risking a complete system breakdown. A clogged, dirty air filter is hard on your A/C system, and it causes other problems in your greater Cincinnati home. Changing out the air filter takes only a few moments, and it’s well worth your time.
Benefits of checking your filter monthly:
- Lower energy bills: Airflow restriction from a dirty filter forces the system to work harder to circulate air and wastes energy. Reduce your energy bill by replacing your air filter whenever it appears dirty.
- "Healthy" HVAC equipment: A neglected air filter inhibits airflow into the air handler, causing a partial blockage and extra strain on the equipment. Eventually your motor can burn out, overheating and causing system failure. At the very least, you can end up with inconvenient and costly repairs that you wouldn't otherwise require.
- Longer system life: Added stress from a clogged filter can make your air conditioner old before its time. A dirty filter allows dust to build up inside the system, which may mean your HVAC system, a big investment, won’t last as long as it should.
- A cleaner duct system: Without proper filtration and air circulation, ducts can become lined with debris and contaminant buildup, including dirt and dust, fungi, rodent droppings and more. Duct cleaning may be necessary to restore the ductwork.
- Contributing to a cleaner environment: Changing the A/C filter avoids excessive energy use, decreasing your carbon footprint.
- Improved indoor air quality: A clogged filter allows unfiltered (or poorly filtered) air, laden with allergens, dirt, chemical emissions and bacteria into your home’s air supply. The circulation of contaminated air through the house can harm your family’s health.
- A fresher home: A clean air filter helps dissipate unpleasant or stale odors, for a fresher home environment.
Questions about selecting or replacing air filters? Contact the Butler County and Greater Cincinnati professionals at JonLe Heating & Cooling. Visit our website for valuable HVAC tips and information or just give us a call.
Image via Shutterstock.com