What to Look for to Ensure a Quality Air Duct Cleaning in Your Cincinnati Home
by Greg Leisgang on October 22, 2013
Posted in: Ductwork
After having air duct cleaning performed in your Cincinnati home, how do you know it was worth it? The trick is to arm yourself with this post-cleaning consumer checklist before you schedule air duct cleaning. Show the technician your list before work begins so he knows what you expect. Then, after the cleaning is complete, ask the technician to show you that each item on the checklist has been achieved.
What to Expect from Quality Air Duct Cleaning
- All heating and cooling system components are cleaned and adjusted (including fans, coils, drip pans and the humidifier).
- The ductwork interior is adequately cleaned, which the service provider may prove with remote photography.
- The furnace heat exchanger and cooling system coils are clean.
- Fan blades are free of oil and debris, and the blower compartment is dust-free.
- Return air registers, grilles and diffusers are visibly clean.
- The air filter fits properly and is the proper efficiency rating recommended by the HVAC system manufacturer.
- The supply side of the ductwork (downstream of the air handler) has no moisture stains or other evidence of contamination.
- All fiberglass materials near the ductwork are in good shape.
- Metal ductwork is sealed with duct mastic (not duct tape).
- Air leakage through ductwork access doors are slight or non-existent when the system is running.
- All return and supply registers are firmly attached to the wall, floor and/or ceiling.
- The system functions normally in heating and cooling mode after the air duct cleaning is complete.
How to Prevent Future Contamination
Help the benefits of clean ductwork last longer with these tips:
- Change the air filter once a month.
- Make sure you replace the filter with one that fits properly so contaminants can’t slip past.
- Request that technicians include coil and drain pan cleaning as part of preventive maintenance.
- Seal off supply and return registers during renovation projects.
- Vacuum and dust regularly.
- Maintain in-duct humidifiers according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
To schedule an appointment for quality air duct cleaning, please contact the professionals at JonLe Heating & Cooling. We proudly serve residents in the Greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com