Run Through This Home Heating Checklist to Get a Jump on Cold Weather
by Greg Leisgang on September 5, 2013
Posted in: Heating
As the warmer days melt into a cool and comfortable fall, homeowners throughout greater Cincinnati should begin preparing for the transition to cooler temperatures. Make sure your home heating system is ready for the cold weather. This home heating checklist will help you get a jump on cold weather before it hits the Cincy area.
Home Heating Checklist
- Check your air filter. A dirty air filter will reduce airflow, causing your heating system to work harder to maintain warmth in your home. Check your air filter every month, especially in the winter. Replace the filter as soon as you see dirt, or at least every three months.
- Consider installing a programmable thermostat. This allows you to preset temperatures for less heat when no one's home. A programmable thermostat will reduce wear on your furnace, as well as your monthly energy costs.
- Inspect the ductwork. Conditioned air travels from your heating system throughout your home via a system of ducts. Cracked or damaged ducts may allow heated air to escape into your attic or crawl space. Have a qualified professional inspect these ducts and seal the seams, connections and obvious gaps.
- Go with Energy Star when replacing HVAC equipment. If your current heating system needs to be replaced, consider installing a new system that's Energy Star qualified. Systems with this designation will provide substantially more efficient home heating, while reducing your energy costs
- Invest in annual preventive maintenance. During a preventive maintenance appointment, our HVAC technician will tackle several tasks, including:
- Test the thermostat to make sure it's working and the settings are accurate.
- Tighten electrical connections
- Measure the voltage of the motor.
- Lubricate any moving part.
- Confirm the starting cycle starts and stops properly.
- Check the condensation drain.
- Check all connections and tighten if needed.
By completing all of the items on this home heating checklist, your furnace will be ready for winter weather. For professional service on all of these tasks, contact the experts at JonLe Heating & Cooling. We proudly service homes throughout the greater Cincinnati area.
Image via Shutterstock.com